What is Longjack also known as Tongkat Ali?
Longjack, (also known as Tongkat Ali or scientifically as Eurycoma Longifolia) is a plant which has been used for centuries in the East for its medicinal properties.
The herb has garnered a lot of attention in the athletic community recently as more and more scientific evidence is coming to light supporting it as a strong, natural testosterone booster.
Case Study 2
I don’t know about you but I don’t know a man who doesn’t have stress in his life.
A study on 32 moderately stressed men and published in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition showed that supplementing with longjack for 4 weeks improved testosterone levels by 37%. (2)
It also showed a 16% decrease in cortisol.
Cortisol increases during periods of stress, including exercise induced stress which is a huge point to note because cortisol is a well known testosterone killer.
By helping keep your cortisol levels low, especially when doing intense exercise, it will help keep your testosterone levels elevated.
Case Study 3
Published in British Journal of Sports Medicine, 30 men between the ages of 31 – 52 were recruited to supplement with 100mg of LJ100® for 3 weeks.
LJ100® is a 100:1 extract of longjack.
This study showed a 66% reduction in Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG) and an increase in free testosterone in 73% of the men. (3)
SHBG binds to testosterone and locks it up meaning its not free to build muscle, increase strength or libido.
When you reduce your SHBG levels you typically see an increase in free testosterone levels just as this study showed.
Ali, over at Anabolic Men also recommends supplementing with LJ.
Longjack Increases Muscle Mass and Size
As if the T boost wasn’t enough reason to take longjack already, the herb was shown in yet another study in healthy men to increase muscle mass and strength.
Arm circumference in particular improved significantly. (4)
Longjack May Block Estrogen
Before getting too excited about this one I need to point out the studies on longjack as an estrogen blocker have only been performed on rats and in petri-dishes.
More often than not, what works on rats or in petri-dishes does not end up having the same effect on humans.
With that said, its still worth pointing out that longjack actually performed as well as tamoxifen (a prescription estrogen blocker) in a petri-dish study.
If this herb does in fact help block estrogen in men, it would just be another fantastic benefit.
Longjack Boosts Libido
In a 12 week study on 109 men between 30 and 55 years of age, supplementation was shown to increase libido, erection strength and semen volume. (5)
The men in the study also showed significant fat loss!
Fat locks up hormones like testosterone so the added ability to help aid in fat loss is yet another positive for longjack.
How to Supplement with Longjack
This ancient herb has been scientifically proven to increase testosterone, improve mood, help cope with stress, increase libido, strength and lean body mass. This is a must take supplement for men.
Higher doses may require short cycles such as 5 days on and 5 days off or taking it every other day, which can become difficult to keep up with. Lower doses will not likely be highly effective.
I recommend you supplement with 100 – 150 mg (100:1) extract daily.
Want to find more natural T boosters that actually work? Read my article on the Best Testosterone Boosting foods and supplements!
- Tambi, M.I., M.K. Imran, and R.R. Henkel, Standardised water-soluble extract of Eurycoma longifolia, Tongkat ali, as testosterone booster for managing men with late-onset hypogonadism? Andrologia, 2012. 44 Suppl 1: p. 226-30. – Link
- Talbott, S.M., et al., Effect of Tongkat Ali on stress hormones and psychological mood state in moderately stressed subjects. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, 2013. 10(1): p. 28. – Link
- The Ergogenic Effects of LJ100® Hamzah, S and Yusuf, A. Published: British Journal of Sports Medicine (2003).BASEM Abstract 37:465-466. – Link
- Hamzah, S. and A. Yusof, Joint Conference of BASEM and BASES. BMJ Publishing Group Ltd and British Association of Sport and Exercise Medicine, 2003. 37(5). – Link
- Ismail, S.B., et al., Randomized Clinical Trial on the Use of PHYSTA Freeze-Dried Water Extract of Eurycoma longifolia for the Improvement of Quality of Life and Sexual Well-Being in Men. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med, 2012. 2012: p. 429268. – Link